Re: (Cygwin) postmaster shutdown problem

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Yutaka tanida <yutaka(at)hi-net(dot)zaq(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: (Cygwin) postmaster shutdown problem
Date: 2001-01-14 03:39:21
Lists: pgsql-ports

Yutaka,

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 08:29:41PM +0900, Yutaka tanida wrote:
> Jason,
>
> > On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 08:58:48PM +0900, Yutaka tanida wrote:
> > > It's a bug of cygipc.
> > > Cygipc can't catch signals when waiting with semget().I'm trying to fix
> > > this.
> >
> > Thanks for your response *and* especially for trying to fix this
> > problem.
>
> I think this bug will be fixed with attatched patch against cygipc
> 1.08.Can you test this?

I'm sorry to inform you that either the above patch doesn't fix this
problem or I did not install it incorrectly.

I used the following procedure:

1. downloaded and extracted cygipc source from:
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/cygipc/cygipc-1.08-1-src.tar.gz
2. applied your patch
3. removed original cygipc 1.08
4. make; make install of cygipc
5. make clean; make; make install of postgres

Then I ran my multiple (JDBC) connection test case and tried to kill
postmaster with a SIGTERM. Unfortunately, it still took more than one
SIGTERM to shutdown postmaster.

It is very easy to set up your own environment to facilitate tracking
down this problem. Would you like me to send you my recipe? I'm just
driving a slightly modified version of the 7.0.3 PostgreSQL JDBC driver
with the Protomatter 1.1.2 JDBC Connection Manager:

The Protomatter package comes with a test client that exhibits this
problem.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235