Re: Problem Installing PostgreSQL 7.0.3 on Windows NT 4.0

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Dmitriy Shekhel <Dmitriy_Shekhel(at)inter-tel(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem Installing PostgreSQL 7.0.3 on Windows NT 4.0
Date: 2001-01-11 20:49:31
Lists: pgsql-ports

Dmitriy,

You will need to apply the attached patch before the 7.0.3 regression
tests will run under Cygwin. The following is the instructions to apply
the patch:

$ cd postgresql-7.0.3/src/test/regress
$ # save run_check.patch to the current directory
$ patch <run_check.patch

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 02:57:23PM -0700, Dmitriy Shekhel wrote:
> Kevin Lo specified at http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html
>
> I issued the make runcheck command to run a parallel regression test but got
> the following error:
>
> MULTIBYTE=;export MULTIBYTE; \
> ./run_check.sh i686-pc-cygwin
> =============== Removing old ./tmp_check directory ... ================
> =============== Create ./tmp_check directory ================
> =============== Installing new build into ./tmp_check ================
> gmake: not found

To resolve the above, perform the following before executing make runcheck:

$ export MAKE=make

> ERROR: Check installation failed - cannot continue
> Please examine
> /usr/src/postgresql-7.0.3/src/test/regress/tmp_check/log/install.log for the
> reason.
>
> make: *** [runcheck] Error 2
>
> Strangely enough install.log file was not generated, so I couldn't check that
> file.

Hmmm...

> I'm not sure how to set/change the owner of the db system. If I just
> run initdb anyway I get:
>
> basename: too many arguments
> Try `basename --help' for more information.

This seems to imply that $0 contains unquoted spaces.

> /cygdrive/c/PostgreSQL: not found

Not sure about this one.

> Could not determine current user name. You are really hosed.

You either do not have an /etc/passwd file or it does not contain a
proper entry for the current user. Use the following:

$ mkpasswd -l >/etc/passwd

or

$ mkpasswd -d >/etc/passwd

to generate a valid passwd file for a workgroup or domain environment,
respectively.

After all of this, you may find that the regression tests hang due to
postmaster aborting. See the following for more details:

http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-ports/2000-12/msg00046.html

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

Attachment Content-Type Size
run_check.patch text/plain 553 bytes