Re: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL postmaster abort problem

From: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL postmaster abort problem
Date: 2001-01-03 20:34:50
Lists: pgsql-ports

Peter,

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 08:46:58AM +0000, Pete Forman wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut writes:
> > I think if Cygwin's strerror() copes with out-of-range errno's,
> > then we can just leave of the whole business completely.
>
> It does.

Given the above, I'm willing to rip out the sys_nerr stuff in elog.c and
exc.c but I'm afraid of breaking other platforms. Please advise.

> src/include/port/anything.h is symlinked to src/include/port.h when you
> run configure. port.h is included by config.h, which is included by c.h,
> which is included by postgres.h, which is included by just about
> everything. (Note to self: Are that many levels really necessary?)

I presume that you really meant "os.h" instead of "port.h" above.

> > > Will this break old releases of Cygwin?
> >
> > I don't know since I don't have b20.1 or older lying around anymore --
> > but my guess is yes. However, without this change PostgreSQL does *not*
> > build OOTB with the current Cygwin release.
>
> Well, it's not like I really care, as I obviously don't use Cygwin, but
> dropping support for old OS version just because new ones came out is not
> that cool, unless you can make a really good argument that no one in their
> right mind would use that old version anymore.

I will reiterate that Cygnus (a.k.a Red Hat) has stated that they no
longer support b20.1 anymore. They are actually seeking out mirrors
with the old releases and requesting that they be deleted. It will
become harder and harder to find b20.1 soon...

> > Note that this file is no longer needed with current Cygwin releases.
> > Cygwin provides its own "DllMain" now. May be a compromise would be to
> > have make check the Cygwin version and eliminate dllinit.c from the
> > build if it is not necessary. I am willing to submit such a patch if it
> > was deemed reasonable.
>
> Sounds great to me. Maybe the CYGWIN_VERSION_API_MAJOR/MINOR symbols
> could be used to #ifdef out the entire dllinit.c if not needed? (A more
> "correct" approach would probably be to check for the existance of
> DllMain, but I'm not sure if you/we are up to that at this point.)

Can I assume that dllinit.c is only used by Cygwin (i.e, not by straight
Win32)? If so, then I can surround the contents with:

#include <cygwin/version.h>
#if CYGWIN_VERSION_DLL_MAJOR < 1001
#endif /* CYGWIN_VERSION_DLL_MAJOR */

Otherwise, this part of the patch is going to get ugly.

I will resubmit my patch after the above issues are resolved.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235