Re: how to get trigger start function not procedure

From: chris Gnther <guenther(at)uscreen(dot)de>
To: "rob" <rob(at)cabrion(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to get trigger start function not procedure
Date: 2000-12-30 13:54:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:28:52 -0500
"rob" <rob(at)cabrion(dot)com> wrote:

> create function set_timestamp() returns opaque as
> 'begin
> new.timestamp := now();
> new.user := getpgusername()
> end if;
> return new;
> end;' language 'plpgsql';
>
> create trigger MyUpdateTrigger before insert or update on YourTable for each
> row execute procedure set_timestamp;

Hi and thanks a lot for your answer. Now it seems I have another problem:
When I try to follow your example - slightly changed to fit my needs -
I get the message:

ERROR: Unrecognized language specified in a
CREATE FUNCTION: 'plpgsql'.
Recognized languages are sql, C, internal and
the created procedural languages.

Does this meen my installation doen't support plpgsql? I have installed
pSQL on a RedHat 6.2 System and used moreless the defaults when compiling
it.

How can I find out what languages are available for my installation and
should plpgsql not be part of every installation

chris