plpgsql language not recognized

From: David Merrill <dmerrill(at)lupercalia(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: plpgsql language not recognized
Date: 2000-12-21 15:51:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am trying to create a function, and I am getting the following error
message:

ERROR: Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION:
'plpgsql'. Recognized languages are sql, C, internal and the created
procedural languages.

This is the text of the function:

CREATE FUNCTION rational (int1, int2) RETURNS text AS '
DECLARE
numerator ALIAS FOR $1;
denominator ALIAS FOR $2;
txtRational text;
BEGIN
txtRational := to_char(numerator,''999999'');
RETURN txtRational;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

This is my first function, and obviously it isn't complete yet. It is
supposed to take two integer values, used to store the numerator and
denominator of a rational value, and return it as a string in the form
'numerator/denominator' when it is finished.

Any help much appreciated.

tia,
David

--
Dr. David C. Merrill http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project dmerrill(at)lupercalia(dot)net

--
I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph.
-- Shirley Temple