Re: beta testing version

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-02 22:43:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 03:47:19PM -0800, Adam Haberlach wrote:

> > Where's the damn core code? I've seen a number of examples already of
> > people asking about remote access/replication function, with an eye
> > toward implementing it, and being told "PostgreSQL, Inc. is working
> > on that". It's almost Microsoftesque: preannounce future functionality
> > suppressing the competition.

Well, I'll admit that this was getting a little over the top, especially
quoted out of context. ;-)

> For What It's Worth: In the three years (has it really been that long?)
> that I've been off and on Postgres mailing lists, I've probably seen at
> least 100 requests for replication, with about 40 of them mentioning
> implementing it themself.
>
> I'm pretty sure that being told "PostgreSQL Inc. is working on that" is
> not the only thing stopping it from happening. Most people just aren't up
> to making it happen.

Indeed. And it's only been less than a year that that response
has been given. However, it is only in that same timespan that the
functionality and performance of the core server gotten to the point
were replication/remote access is one of immediately fruitful itches to
scratch. We'll see what happens in the future.

Ross