Running postgres as a "service" under w32 (9x/NT/2k)

From: "S(dot)L(dot)" <s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Running postgres as a "service" under w32 (9x/NT/2k)
Date: 2000-11-20 16:30:16
Lists: pgsql-ports

Here's a trick I use to start various unix "daemons" (apache, sshd) under
windows, without starting a cygwin console, or keeping one activated while
the program is running (actually, for postgres, I use a php script to start
from apache, but it would work 100%).

I've written some "wrappers" for executables of the daemons, simple shell
scripts that (most important) defines the actual PATH needed for the program
in the second line, after #!/bin/sh line. After that I wrote the command line
with complete options for the program to be launched.
I'm starting a cygwish80 graphical console where I execute a command like
"exec c:\cygwin\bin\bash /<full_cygwin_name_of_the_script>". Closing tbe
cygwish window the launched app remains in background. It is not listed in
Services Control Panel on NT or W2k, can be stopped from task manager.

Here's an example with what I use to start sshd:

----------------------

#!/usr/bin
export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:.:~/
/usr/local/sbin/sshd

to start it as a background I'm starting a cygwish console and do an "exec
c:\cygwin\bin\bash /usr/users/administrator/sshd" and an "exit".

It's easy to make a shortcut for this, if you put the "exec [...]" line in a
start-sshd.tcl file which would be executed by cygwish.

Success!

SLao