Re: dramatic slowdown. . .fixed by vacuum

From: Joe Slag <jslag(at)visi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: dramatic slowdown. . .fixed by vacuum
Date: 2000-07-21 19:42:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 12:36:35PM -0700, WOLF, PATRICK wrote:
> Try running vacuum on the table or the database. Here's an excerpt from the
> man on vacuum:

[snip]

Thanks to all who responded. I vacuumed out foo, and sure enough
the select time is down to 10 seconds again.

I see in the docs the suggestion:

We recommend that active production databases be VACUUMM-ed nightly

Is this how people tend to do their vacuuming? Does anyone do programmatic
vacuums instead of / in addition to a nightly run? Is vacuuming mainly
necessary after big deletes, or are there other common situations
requiring it?

Joe Slag
Wagpaw, Inc.