Re: postmaster: init.d/start

From: Thomas Mack <mack(at)ips(dot)cs(dot)tu-bs(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster: init.d/start
Date: 2000-06-13 07:23:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

>Hi Daniel,
>
>thank you for your reply.
>
>There are some unanswered questions.
>Why does one have to consider multiple run levels? Doesn't run level 3
>(network + X) implicate run level 2 (network)?

Not on SuSE Linux. On SOlaris for example, you will find in /etc/inittab
an entry like:

s2:23:wait:/sbin/rc2

with the meaning that /sbin/rc2 will be executed in runlevel 2 AND 3 as
well. So all the scripts in rc2.d will be started in runlevel 3 as well
(on Solaris).

In SuSE you find:

l2:2:wait:/sbin/init.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/sbin/init.d/rc 3

So each runlevel just starts its scripts only.

>So if I don't use XDM (or equivalent) and the system starts with a login
>shell only, it would start run level 2 services. And if I use XDM and
>the system starts using X it would also load run level 2 services?

No, not on SuSE. But you can change your /etc/inittab, if you like to have
this behaviour. Actually, you will find (almost?) all scripts from
/sbin/init.d/rc2.d doubled in /sbin/init.d/rc3.d for the reason, that
runlevel 3 does NOT start the scripts for runlevel 2.

Thomas Mack
TU Braunschweig, Abt. Informationssysteme