US Date Style

From: Jason Earl <jdearl(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: US Date Style
Date: 2000-04-20 16:20:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

Note: I sent this to the pgsql-general list from
another account
yesterday, but it hasn't been answered. My apologies
if you see it
twice. On the other hand, I have taken some time to
proofread a bit,
so perhaps the punctuation won't be quite as bad.

I recently upgraded the PostgreSQL database on one of
my Debian Linux
boxes to postgresql-7.0-0.beta3-1 in preparation for
the grand
switchover to version 7.0. So far I am quite
impressed, but I have
had a little bit of a problem setting the PGDATESTYLE
correctly. For
historical reasons I would like to continue using the
US datestyle
(eg. Sat Jan 01 07:09:19 2000 MDT).

I have tried setting the variable in
/etc/postgresql/postmaster.init
and no joy. I have also tried to set the value of
PGDATESTYLE
manually in psql using:

processdata=>\set PGDATESTYLE US

When I do this I am able to then check the variables
that are set and
I get:

processdata=> \set
VERSION = 'PostgreSQL 7.0.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnu,
compiled by gcc 2.95.2'
DBNAME = 'processdata'
USER = 'earlj'
HOST = 'nampadata'
PORT = '5432'
ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII'
PROMPT1 = '%/%R%# '
PROMPT2 = '%/%R%# '
PROMPT3 = '>> '
HISTSIZE = '500'
PGDATESTYLE = 'US'

Unfortunately, when I test it out:

processdata=> select 'now'::datetime;
?column?
2000-04-19 14:09:06-06
(1 row)

I still get the ISO format. So what do I need to do
to get my US
datestyle back?

Sorry to bother,
Jason Earl