Re: document the need to analyze partitioned tables

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, yuzuko <yuzukohosoya(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: document the need to analyze partitioned tables
Date: 2022-10-05 08:37:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2022-03-28 at 15:05 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> I've pushed the last version, and backpatched it to 10 (not sure I'd
> call it a bugfix, but I certainly agree with Justin it's worth
> mentioning in the docs, even on older branches).

I'd like to suggest an improvement to this. The current wording could
be read to mean that dead tuples won't get cleaned up in partitioned tables.

By the way, where are the statistics of a partitioned tables used? The actual
tables scanned are always the partitions, and in the execution plans that
I have seen, the optimizer always used the statistics of the partitions.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Improve-autovacuum-doc-on-partitioned-tables.patch text/x-patch 1.9 KB