Re: pgScript patch based on pgScript-1.0-beta-3

From: "Mickael Deloison" <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgScript patch based on pgScript-1.0-beta-3
Date: 2008-08-14 15:22:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

2008/8/14 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Mickael Deloison <mdeloison(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure to understand all the possibilities.
>> By DLL, what do you mean? Do you say that pgScript code would be on
>> pgFoundry (like it is right now) or would be on pgAdmin SVN. If on
>> pgAdmin SVN, would it be compiled and included in pgAdmin when you
>> compile pgAdmin? And with a DLL, isn't there a problem if you want to
>> distribute pgAdmin binary with the PostgreSQL Windows distribution?
>> Because the DLL should be distributed as well...
>
> Integrated:
>
> The source code is added as an integral part of the pgAdmin source
> tree, fully integrated.
>
> DLL:
>
> The source code is added as a shared library to the pgAdmin source
> tree. The main pgAdmin project then utilises that DLL. This allows the
> pgScript DLL to be used by other applications, and may be
> incrementally updated in branches within the SVN repository (we would
> obviously give you commit rights to do that). This would require some
> synchronisation of effort to ensure that you didn't change APIs in a
> way that would cause us problems (we'd manage that through some
> version numbering agreement).
>
> Separate:
>
> pgScript is maintained entirely outside of the pgAdmin source tree,
> either on pgFoundry, pgadmin.org, Google Code or whereever. You
> maintain it as you see fit, and we bundle your third party executable.

So I talked with Magnus. The simplest solution is fully integrated
because I designed pgScript to be fully integrated. A library is the
most difficult one.
Therefore we chose fully integrated with a possibility to deactivate
pgScript with a ./configure option if it is not wanted.
And also give the possibility to build pgScript.exe standalone
executable in xtra/pgscript.

Mickael