Re: unpleasant characters

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: unpleasant characters
Date: 2009-12-14 15:07:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

A long-time lurker writes:

2009/12/14 Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>:
> Dave Page escreveu:
>> Do you know if this will have any unpleasant side-effects in Japan or
>> other regions with what we would consider to be unusual keyboard
>> layouts?
>>

> As I said, I don't know if we'll have problems with it; but if they map Fx key
> to some character, they have trouble using our shortcuts anyway. Could Hiroshi
> or someone else confirm this?

The function keys on Japanese keyboards (I am typing on one right now)
are not used for any special Japanese characters. They can be used when
inputting Japanese to modify the input string, but any keypresses should be
caught by the IME and not passed through to the underlying application.
When inputting SQL, the keyboard would effectively be the same as a US
keyboard. The same applies, AFAIK, to other East Asian languages.

I also happen to have a Thai keyboard knocking around and the function
keys are not used for anything special there either.

HTH

Ian Barwick