Re: [8.4] Updated WITH clause patch (non-recursive)

From: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [8.4] Updated WITH clause patch (non-recursive)
Date: 2008-01-27 19:24:00
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Jan 27, 2008 8:13 PM, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> wrote:
> (Compare that with the irritation we may well see from the removal of
> implicit casts in 8.3, which will break *far* more applications, for a
> benefit that many users will no doubt find rather hard to observe.)

It's a bit off-topic but I was thinking the same *before* porting a
real application to 8.3. There are cases where it's just annoying to
not have the casts anymore but I find also a bunch of broken
behaviours (interval > int for example) which I'm quite happy to
detect and fix.
But I'm pretty sure we'll have a lot of feedback on this, probably
mostly negative at first.

--
Guillaume