Re: which Xeon processors don't have the context switching problem

From: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
Subject: Re: which Xeon processors don't have the context switching problem
Date: 2007-02-23 22:23:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 2/23/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Also isn't it pretty much *not* a problem with current versions of
> PostgreSQL?

We had a really *big* scalability problem with a quad Xeon MP 2.2 and
PostgreSQL 7.4. The problem is mostly gone since we upgraded to 8.1 a
year ago.

Woodcrest seems to perform really well with PostgreSQL according to
what I can read on the Internet so we will probably change the server
for a dual Woodcrest in a few months.

--
Guillaume