Re: Please help me understand these numbers

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bill Moran" <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Cc: "PGSQL Performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Please help me understand these numbers
Date: 2007-06-08 17:05:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 6/8/07, Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com> wrote:

> > I need some help. I have started taking snapshots of performance of my
> > databases with concerns to io. I created a view on each cluster defined
> as:
> > SELECT pg_database.datname AS database_name,
> > pg_stat_get_db_blocks_fetched(pg_database.oid) AS blocks_fetched,
> > pg_stat_get_db_blocks_hit(pg_database.oid) AS blocks_hit,
> > pg_stat_get_db_blocks_fetched(pg_database.oid) -
> > pg_stat_get_db_blocks_hit(pg_database.oid) AS physical_reads
> > FROM pg_database
> > WHERE pg_stat_get_db_blocks_fetched(pg_database.oid) > 0
> > ORDER BY pg_stat_get_db_blocks_fetched(pg_database.oid) -
> > pg_stat_get_db_blocks_hit(pg_database.oid) DESC;
> >
> > I am taking 5 minute snapshots of this view.
> >
> > When I look at my data, I am getting row like this:
> > database_name: xxx
> > blocks_fetched: 2396915583
> > blocks_hit: 1733190669
> > physical_reads: 663724914
> > snapshot_timestamp: 2007-06-08 09:20:01.396079
> >
> > database_name: xxx
> > blocks_fetched: 2409671770
> > blocks_hit: 1733627788
> > physical_reads: 676043982
> > snapshot_timestamp: 2007-06-08 09:25:01.512911
> >
> > Subtracting these 2 lines gives me a 5 minute number of
> > blocks_fetched: 12756187
> > blocks_hit: 437119
> > physical_reads: 12319068
> >
> > If I am interpreting these number correctly, for this 5 minute interval
> > ended up hitting only 3.43% of the requested data in my shared_buffer,
> and
> > ended up requesting 12,319,068 blocks from the os? Since a postgres
> block
> > is 8KB, that's 98,553,544 KB (~94GB)!
> >
> > Are my assumptions correct in this?
>
> It certainly seems possible.
>
> > I am just having a hard time fathoming
> > this. For this particular db, that is almost 1/2 of the total database
> (it
> > is a 200GB+ db) requested in just 5 minutes!
>
> What are your share_buffers setting and the total RAM available to the OS?
>
> My guess would be that you have plenty of RAM in the system (8G+ ?) but
> that
> you haven't allocated very much of it to shared_buffers (only a few 100
> meg?).
> As a result, PostgreSQL is constantly asking the OS for disk blocks that
> it
> doesn't have cached, but the OS has those disk blocks cached in RAM.
>
> If my guess is right, you'll probably see improved performance by
> allocating
> more shared memory to PostgreSQL, thus avoiding having to move data from
> one area in memory to another before it can be used.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Collaborative Fusion Inc.
> http://people.collaborativefusion.com/~wmoran/
>
> wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com
> Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

Wow, that's amazing. You pretty much hit my config on the head. 9GB ram
with 256MB shared_buffers.

I have just started playing with my shared_buffers config on another server
that tends to be my main problem server. I just ran across these
informational functions the other day, and they are opening up some great
territory for me that I have been wanting to know about for a while.

I was starting to bump my shared_buffers up slowly. Would it be more
advisable to just push them to 25% of my ram and start there or work up
slowly. I was going slowly since it takes a database restart to change the
parameter.

Any advise would be welcome.

Chris