PostgreSQL Distributed Systems Engineer Job posting

From: <kevin(dot)haynes(at)emc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Distributed Systems Engineer Job posting
Date: 2011-03-10 19:49:54
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Job Description
Description
Building the world's largest Data Warehouses at true petabyte-scale, Greenplum/EMC is committed to pioneering massively parallel data-intensive analytic processing. We are looking for talented individuals to join our team and explore and develop advanced technology as part of our Distributed Systems Engineering group.

Greenplum/EMC Database is a massively parallel and distributed database system consisting of clusters of database servers. Coordination of independent systems, effective fault detection, and recovery strategies are just some of the areas that are critical for meeting requirements for high-availability and scalability for which our team is responsible.
With the Enterprise Data Cloud Initiative Greenplum/EMC enables dynamic (re-)configuration of clusters, data-mart consolidation, and enterprise-wide data sharing pushing the envelope of scalability and availability for data management even further.

Responsibilities:

* participate in the research and design for state-of-the-art fault-tolerant management frameworks
* analyze and solve highly abstract algorithmic problems
* own the design process, implementation, and verification of framework components leveraging standard software engineering methodologies
* translate complex algorithm solutions into robust and provably correct software
* maintain and improve existing infrastructure components

Requirements:

* exceptionally strong abstract thinker with solid algorithms and data structures knowledge
* a passion for building great software
* extensive experience in developing highly scalable distributed systems
* proven in-depth understanding of High Availability concepts, e.g., replication, consensus protocols, etc.
* strong system development skills
* good knowledge of parallel programming paradigms
* advanced degree in CS, or equivalent
* team player; capable of conducting independent research
* result-driven, self-motivated, self-starter
* not afraid to take on hard technical challenges
* excellent communication skills

Experience in any of the following fields is a definite plus:

* database internals
* experience with PostgreSQL/
* enterprise software development

Kevin Haynes
Senior Recruiting Consultant
EMC² Data Computing Division
O: 650.204.0936
M: 916. 337.1273
EMC Greenplum Data Computing Appliance Delivers Industry's Fastest Data Loading and Performance
Introducing EMC Greenplum<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eH95Otjyjw&feature=related>
The Importance of Fast Data Loading in the Big Data Era<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lypnt7l2JdU&feature=player_embedded>
[cid:image003(dot)png(at)01CBDF19(dot)455E3750]