Large selects

To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large selects
Date: 2006-08-24 08:26:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello!

We are having a lot of trouble trying to use JDBC with PostgreSQL.

This is what we want to achieve:

- Select all rows in a table (people)
- Select addresses belonging to each person. By subselect or join
(addresses)
- Select phone numbers belonging to each person. By subselect or join
(contacts)
- Loop through the results, building a Lucene index.

Our tables:
- people: ~ 8 million records (could be larger in the future, maybe
50 million)
- addresses ~8 million records
- contacts: ~10 million records

Hardware:
2x dual core 3GHz intel Xeon
1-2 Gb RAM

Problem:

It seems that the PostgreSQL driver fetches the whole result, storing
it in memory, causing Java to run out of memory.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
We have tried increasing memory for the program (-Xmn100M -Xms512M -
Xmx512M), but we only have one gigabyte of memory to work with.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this, other that
throwing more hardware at the problem? Cursors?

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks