Tuning 8.3

From: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Tuning 8.3
Date: 2008-02-25 15:47:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I need to run about 1000 PostgreSQL connections on a server that I can
use about 4 GB of the total 16 GB of total RAM. It seems that each
session creates a process that uses about 15 MB of RAM just for
connecting so I'm running out of RAM rather quickly.

I have these non-default settings:

shared_buffers = 30MB

max_connections = 1000

I tried decreasing the work_mem but the db wouldn't start then.

I'm running version 8.3 on Windows 2003 Server.

Any tips for reducing the memory footprint per session? There is
pgBouncer but is there anything I can do in the configuration before I
go with a connection pooler?

Jon