Trouble getting started..

From: David Kelly <david_kelly(at)usa(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trouble getting started..
Date: 1999-04-28 08:46:43
Lists: pgsql-general

I am in the process of trying to install PostgreSQL for the first time.
The machine is an SGI O2 running Irix 6.5. I had no problems compiling,
but when I run "createdb", I get the errors:

Connection to database 'template1' failed.
This probably means the backend terminated abnormally before or while
processing the request.
createdb: database creation failed on postgres.

In the other window while running "posmaster -i":
IpcSemaphoreCreate: semctl failed (Bad address) id=5
FATAL: s_lock(040000c0) at spin.c:125, stuck spinlock. Aborting.
FATAL: s_lock(040000c0) at spin.c:125, stuck spinlock. Aborting.
NOTICE: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend died abnormally and
possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am going to terminate your
database system connection and exit.
Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

I've tried running ipcclean, but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas would
be greatly appreciated..

Thank you,
David