Re: [GENERAL] problem when vacuuming. . .

From: Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)spaceheater(dot)infoplease(dot)com>
To: jt-kirkpatrick(at)mpsllc(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] problem when vacuuming. . .
Date: 1999-04-20 13:17:42
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

For what it's worth, my experience with this error is that your
backend crashed during the update - why it should do that on such a
small set of data, I cannot begin to guess. But I have always found
the data to be okay, though the query executing at the time will need
to be completed. Just drop the indexes, complete the query, and
recreate the indexes (I suggets this order for performance reasons,
unless your update depends on using the indexes to perform
efficiently).

You may also want to increase the amount of memory allocated to the
backend, both -B and -S (buffers, and sort buffers)