Re: locale in postgresql

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tamas Nyitrai <defiant(at)telnet(dot)hu>
Subject: Re: locale in postgresql
Date: 1998-12-13 01:15:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Tamas Nyitrai wrote:
[in relation to 6.3.2, where this happens:
test=> select * from test;
name
----
abc
bca
cab
(3 rows)

test=> select * from test where name like 'a%';
name
----
(0 rows)]

>The bug with "select" is definitely a locale-bug! If I set the LANG
>variable and restart the postmaster, then the 'a%' type select fails and
>the ~'^a' form of select fails as well.
>
>If I comment the LANG variable and restart the postmaster then it works
>fine again. I would like to sort the output according to the Hungarian
>alphabetic, that is why I need to set LANG to hu_HU.
>
>This "select/locale" thing only happens - as far as I know it - if I use
>text type fields in a table, but it is OK with char().

Has anyone else seen such a locale-based problem?

I would like to establish whether it is a problem in postgresql or in
libc.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver