Re: [ADMIN] recovering data from pgsql 6.1 installation

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Andrey V Khavryutchenko <akhavr(at)compchem(dot)kiev(dot)ua>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] recovering data from pgsql 6.1 installation
Date: 1998-12-01 19:10:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Andrey V Khavryutchenko wrote:
>Hi!
>
>The problem:
>
>We've had the pgsql 6.1 installation made by previous admin. Due
>instability, I am to upgrade it to the current one. Having no previous
>experience with pgsql, I've forgot to dump db :(
>
>Now, neither pgsql 6.3, 6.2 or even 6.1 can't read the db.
>
>$ psql mailing
>Connection to database 'mailing' failed.
>PQexec() -- Request was sent to backend, but backend closed the channel
>before responding. This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
>before or while processing the request.
>
>How I can find more verbose error message? What are the possible ways to
>recover the data? Pointers to TFM would be very helpfull.

Look at the man page for postgres.

I suggest you turn on debugging in the backend:
nohup postmaster -o -e -d 2 >> /var/log/postgres.log 2>&1 &

Look at the end of /var/log/postgres.log immediately after a failure to get
an indication of what happened.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver