Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu (Brook Milligan)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] dynamic libraries
Date: 1998-10-09 17:46:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> How are people handling the fact that libpq is dynamic, and psql needs
> to find it. I don't see people using -rpath as a link option.
>
> Are people setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the PostgreSQL library directory?
>
> Using ldconfig and /etc/ld.so.conf:
>
> # ld.so.conf
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/pkg/lib
> /usr/local/lib
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib
>
> This is on NetBSD 1.3.2.

ELF shared libraries are new to BSDI 4.0, so I was a little confused. I
editied ld.so.conf, but did not know I needed to run ldconfig, which I
have done figured out, and it works.

My larger question is why we don't get more reports of problems like
this. Do novices just know to go edit ld.so.conf, and run ldconfig?

It is probably in the Linux FAQ, but is everyone reading that when they
get the error?

I am trying to figure out how to deal with this for BSDI 4.0 users. I
am sure they are going to be confused.