Re: [HACKERS] initdb problem

From: Keith Parks <emkxp01(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: meskes(at)online-club(dot)de, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] initdb problem
Date: 1998-08-27 21:49:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>

> > Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>

The

> > > Yikes. Good thing that is fixed now.
> > >

> > Another interesting thing?
> >
> > (appologies for the width)
> >
> > I would half expected attalign to be 'd' for all these.
> >
> > I'm not sure how the values get there though!!
>
> Can you research what the proper value should be. We have char/varchar
> set to 'i', but others set to 'd'. What should be the proper value. Is
> 'd' and 'i' alignment the same on our supported platforms. Does a char
> field of length 32 align on int, but a double align on double differently.

Bruce,

I'm probably not the best person to explain this or determine what the
correct values are. I'm not sure I even understand how things work
myself.

I think we require the alignment definitions because we are storing
tuples as structures on disk and reading and writing them as raw
data. Hence, when we read from disk into one of the FormData structs
we need to ensure that the data reads in with the correct alignment.

(If you declare a struct in C it may occupy more bytes than you
imagine due to alignment.)

Reading by 'C' book here.

Don't assume, however, that the size of a structure is the sum
of the sizes of it's members. Because of alignment requirements
for different objects, there may be "holes" in a structure.
Thus, for instance, if a char is one bye and an int four bytes,
the structure

struct {
char c;
int i;
};

might well require eight bytes not five.

I guess we need to ensure that if we write this struct to disk we
block.

When we read the data back into the structure we get a valid alignment.

I think this padding works by adding bytes to the previous field so that
when the current field is written is is on the right boundary.

Does this make sense, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Keith.