Re: [HACKERS] Convert PGconn, PGresult to opaque types?

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Convert PGconn, PGresult to opaque types?
Date: 1998-08-24 01:21:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> In last week's episode, I wrote:
> > I have dealt with this by splitting libpq-fe.h into two files, leaving
> > only exportable information in libpq-fe.h and moving the internals into
> > a new file libpq-int.h. This should solve Ewan's problem and reduce
> > application-code namespace pollution in general.
> >
> > (If I were really being fascist about this I would've moved the
> > definitions of struct pg_conn and friends into libpq-int.h, leaving
> > only an opaque "struct pg_conn" declaration to be seen by applications.
> > But I'm afraid that that will break too many applications. Perhaps we
> > can take that step in some future release.)
>
> Today I am wondering whether it wouldn't be a good idea to just go ahead
> and move those struct declarations into libpq-int.h. Then a pointer to
> PGconn would be truly an opaque type for applications; all they'd see is
>
> typedef struct pg_conn * PGconn;
>
> Basically this would force applications to use the accessor functions
> as recommended in the documentation, and not touch fields of a PGconn
> object directly. (Ditto for PGresult.)

I am scared about external stuff like php. If they use it, and we
release something that doesn't work with their stuff, we are cooked
until they upgrade.

Not really sure what the advantage would be, aside from cleanliness.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026