Re: Recent updates

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas G(dot) Lockhart)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recent updates
Date: 1998-07-09 15:19:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> (I'm back on-line, I think...)
> I committed several changes to the development source tree this morning
> (~15 hours ago). The changes affect the following areas:
>
> 1) There is an 8-byte integer data type. It needs some testing and
> possibly configuration help on most of the supported platforms. Works on
> i686/Linux and should work on Alpha.

Good.

> 2) pg_dump now surrounds table and column names with double-quotes, to
> preserve case and funny characters through a dump/reload operation. Hope
> this is OK with you Bruce; let me know... btw, last time I tested this
> code (two weeks ago?) it was still slightly off of a perfect dump/reload
> of the regression tests. The test I am doing is to dump the regression
> test database, then reload that into a new database, then dump the new
> database. The resulting pg_dump output should be the same as the dump of
> the original database.

Yep, that's the ticket.

> 3) some docs sources have been updated.
>
> 4) some additional regression tests have been defined to cover the
> HAVING clause and the int8 data type.

Stephan has fixes for the remaining HAVING problems. He has not sent
them yet because he is getting problems with psort.

> 5) automatic data type conversion now happens in every place it needs
> to, I think. The last changes are to get source columns to match target
> columns in simple INSERT/FROM statements.
>
> Except for the "random" and "resjunk" regression tests, things look good
> on my development machine; I've done a build and regression test
> directly from the CVS source tree after these changes with no other
> errors noted.

Good. I assume UNION NULL is still an issue one of us needs to fix.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026