Re: CREATE TABLE LIKE INCLUDING INDEXES support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Trevor Hardcastle" <chizu(at)spicious(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE LIKE INCLUDING INDEXES support
Date: 2007-05-23 13:59:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> If so, I think we can introduce 2 Oid fields in the IndexStmt structure and
> store the Oids there. In DefineIndex we can use these Oids if they are not
> invalid.

I think this is just make-work that causes the patch to complicate parts
of the system it didn't need to touch. The original suggestion was to
actively refactor existing code, which might or might not have been
worthwhile. But this isn't an appropriate substitute --- it's just
making the API uglier for no particular benefit.