Re: Starting PostgreSQL 8.0.4 with more memory [FreeBSD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Vlad <marchenko(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting PostgreSQL 8.0.4 with more memory [FreeBSD
Date: 2005-10-31 14:54:39
Lists: pgsql-general

> There have been tests that demonstrate that you can raise the buffers
> to a certain point which is optimal and after that it just doesn't
> help [1]. They peg optimal size at 5-10% of memory.
> [1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-10/msg00110.php

Note however that it's reasonable to think that 8.1 may do better than
8.0 did at performing well with large values of shared_buffers,
primarily because we got rid of the StrategyDirtyBufferList overhead:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-10/msg00112.php

It'd be interesting to repeat the above-mentioned tests with 8.1.