Re: Performance on Sun Fire X4150 x64 (dd, bonnie++, pgbench)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Emil Pedersen <emil(dot)pedersen(at)its(dot)uu(dot)se>
Cc: Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance on Sun Fire X4150 x64 (dd, bonnie++, pgbench)
Date: 2008-07-22 00:06:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

Emil Pedersen <emil(dot)pedersen(at)its(dot)uu(dot)se> writes:
>> At least on debian it was quite easy to "backport" 8.3.3 from sid
>> to etch using apt-get's source and build-dep functions. That way
>> you get a normal installable package.

> I should have said that I was talking about the postgresql, I
> missed the plr part. I appologize for the noice.

Still, there's not normally that much difference between the packaging
for one version and for the next. I can't imagine that it would take
much time to throw together a package for 8.3 plr based on what you're
using for 8.2. All modern package-based distros make this pretty easy.
The only reason not to do it would be if you're buying support from
a vendor who will only support specific package versions...