Re: Open items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open items
Date: 2003-10-28 04:32:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We only have a few open items left. Can we finish them so we can move
> toward final release?

Okay, here's my two cents:

> Allow superuser (dba?) the ability to turn off foreign key checks/all
> constraints/triggers, not settable from postgresql.conf?

We have seen a wide variety of proposals and opinions on this, ranging
from "you can turn off the C in ACID anytime you want" to "you can
suppress ALTER TABLE ADD FOREIGN KEY's cross-check ... and nothing else
... but only if you are superuser, mutter the right secret password, and
spin three times widdershins". I am in the "three times widdershins"
camp myself. But given the lack of consensus, I think the right
short-term answer is to do nothing further. We can improve this more
in future releases.

> Move ANALYZE before foreign key creation?

"Move"? pg_dump scripts don't issue ANALYZE at all. Again, I think
this is not something to be introducing at the last minute.

> Rename dump GUC variable to be more generic

Sure, if we can agree on a name.

> Document new --describe-config postgres option

Go to it.

> Have gcc use -g, add --disable-debug, rename?

Personally I don't like the idea of this behavior defaulting differently
depending on which compiler you use. I can see the practical arguments
for doing so, but it still rubs me the wrong way. Can anyone offer new
arguments pro or con here?