Re: specifying a password on the cmd line for db connect

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: specifying a password on the cmd line for db connect
Date: 2009-11-26 15:27:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz> writes:
> On 2009-11-17, Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> You can always use the environment variable PGPASSWORD to do that.
>> Though - it is not recommended to use for security reason. :(

> as long as it's not in the default environment it's better than a
> command-line password.

On some platforms it's possible to see all of a process's environment
variables using ps-like tools. That's why PGPASSWORD is deprecated.
If you're certain that your platform is not like this, then
"export PGPASSWORD=foo" is probably reasonably safe. On the whole,
though, a .pgpass file is probably safer as well as more convenient.