Re: BUG #4939: error query result

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "limaozeng" <limaozeng(at)163(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4939: error query result
Date: 2009-07-24 05:02:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> The result might be a designed behavior, but is very surprising.
> What should we care for it?

I think the only thing we could do about it is downgrade the implicit
casts to "name", which seems like a cure worse than the disease ---
it'd interfere with searches in the system catalogs.

The OP could avoid the problem by declaring "str" as text rather
than char(n), which on the whole seems like the preferable solution.
char(200) has got no redeeming social value whatsoever...