Re: Disparity in search_path SHOW and SET

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disparity in search_path SHOW and SET
Date: 2005-12-23 00:03:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Agreed. I have gotten confused on how to set $user in the past. I have
> developed the following patch that sets the default with the double
> quotes around it, and it works fine. The patch also contains updated
> documentation.

This is really entirely irrelevant to Greg's complaint. To respond to
that, you'd have to modify the behavior of SHOW.

Actually, it seems that this exposes a bug in the search_path code: if
I wrote what you wrote, I'd really expect that it refers to a schema
named exactly $user --- the quoting ought to suppress the substitution,
one would think. Not sure how hard or easy that might be to implement
though ...