Re: Brain dump: btree collapsing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Brain dump: btree collapsing
Date: 2003-02-28 04:12:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>> The other is that now I am left without a graduate project :-(

> [ various good suggestions ]

FWIW, I would much rather see effort put into GiST than hash indexes.
I think that btree and GiST will be our two primary index types in the
long run. Hash and rtree don't have enough to recommend them to justify
directing maintenance effort that way rather than to the big guys.

Just MHO of course...