Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq

From: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tollef Fog Heen <tollef(dot)fog(dot)heen(at)collabora(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq
Date: 2010-06-22 17:30:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jun 22, 2010, at 18:43 , Robert Haas wrote:
> What does bother me is the fact that we are engineering a critical
> aspect of our system reliability around vendor-specific implementation
> details of the TCP stack, and that if any version of any operating
> system that we support (or ever wish to support in the future) fails
> to have a reliable implementation of this feature AND configurable
> knobs that we can tune to suit our needs, then we're screwed. Does
> anyone want to argue that this is NOT a house of cards?

We already depend on TCP keepalives to prevent backends orphaned by client crashes or network outages from lingering around forever. If such a lingering backend is inside a transaction, I'll cause table bloat, prevent clog truncations, and keep tables locked forever.

I'd therefore argue that lingering backends are as least as severe a problem as hung S/R connections are. Since we've trusted keepalives to prevent the former for 10 years now, I think we can risk trusting keepalives to prevent the latter too.

best regards,
Florian Pflug