Re: [JDBC] Trouble with COPY IN

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: James William Pye <lists(at)jwp(dot)name>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Maciek Sakrejda <msakrejda(at)truviso(dot)com>, Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Trouble with COPY IN
Date: 2010-09-18 20:15:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
>> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, James William Pye wrote:
>>> I think there's a snag in the patch:

> Oh, duh. It's a server side copy not going through the client at all.
> Here's a hopefully final patch.

Applied with a correction: this would've totally broken binary copy in
old-style protocol, because there is no other EOF marker except the -1
in that case.

BTW, it strikes me that we could reduce the backwards-compatibility
impact of this patch if we made it ignore, rather than throw error for,
any extra data after the EOF marker. I left it as-is since ISTM the
more error checking you can have in a binary data format, the better.
But a case could be made for doing the other thing, especially if
somebody wanted to argue for back-patching this.