Re: pgbench enhancements

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbench enhancements
Date: 2006-07-26 14:58:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> BTW, running long benchmark using pgbench on BIG tables easily causes
> an integer overflow error in following SQLs:

Right.

> I'm inclined to change abalance, tbalance and bbalance column to
> BIGINT to avoid the error. Opinion?

No. The problem is that the deltas are invariably positive, which is
not realistic (at least *my* bank balance isn't uniformly increasing :-().
I think the correct fix is just to tweak the range of the randomly
distributed deltas to be plus and minus not always plus.

If you change to bigint then post-change results won't be strictly
comparable to pre-change results because of the difference in execution
costs.