Re: A nightmare

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mauri Sahlberg <Mauri(dot)Sahlberg(at)claymountain(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A nightmare
Date: 2005-05-02 14:52:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Mauri Sahlberg <Mauri(dot)Sahlberg(at)claymountain(dot)com> writes:
> I'm starting to become desperate. On saturday I dumped all databases,
> wiped whole postgresql installation. Installed newest rpms for Fedora 1,
> restored databases. Recompiled client libraries and binaries. Restarted
> and after five hours of operation:
> May 1 21:34:19 claymountain postgres[6337]: [2-1] ERROR: could not
> access status of transaction 4250811410
> May 1 21:34:19 claymountain postgres[6337]: [2-2] DETAIL: could not
> open file
> "/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog/0FD5": No such file or directory

Which exactly are the "newest rpms for Fedora 1" ... what PG version
and where did you get them from?

> Is there anything else I could do than dump, wipe, restore again? Isn't
> there anything I could do to try to get more detailed meaningful
> information on why this is happening?

It looks like a corrupt-data issue to me. You could follow the usual
sorts of procedures to try to isolate and get rid of the bad data
(see the list archives for details). But I think first you need to
question what caused it. Could your disk drive be failing (or other
hardware problem)? How much do you trust the specific kernel version
you are currently running?