Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?
Date: 2024-05-15 20:50:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 04:07:18PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> How's this?

> I compared this with my v1, and the only bit of information there that I
> see missing in v3 is that validation step 4 only applies in the
> once-per-cycle run (or if you forget to pgindent before committing a
> patch). This might be why I was struggling to untangle the two types of
> pgindent runs in my attempt. Perhaps it's worth adding a note to that step
> about when it is required.

Oh ... another problem is that the VALIDATION steps really apply to
both kinds of indent runs, but it's not clear to me that that's
obvious in v3. Maybe the steps should be rearranged to be
(1) base case, (2) VALIDATION, (3) ONCE PER CYCLE.

At this point my OCD got the better of me and I did a little
additional wordsmithing. How about the attached?

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgindent_readme_v4.patch text/x-diff 4.4 KB