Re: JDBC Default Encoding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Altaf Malik <mmalik_altaf(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC Default Encoding
Date: 2007-05-01 16:34:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> I'm not sure when the server applies
> our setting of client_encoding.

Immediately after switch scanning in PostgresMain, assuming you're
sending it the way I think. This is before the backend subprocess
attempts to verify the database or user name ... however, this is
after authentication (pg_hba.conf processing) so there's quite a
variety of failure messages that would be sent in the postmaster's
default encoding, whatever that might be. I'm afraid there's not
any really clean answer there.