Re: Concerns about this release

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
Cc: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Concerns about this release
Date: 2001-12-18 19:52:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com> writes:
> For all the various bugs which have been in PG over the years, the
> recent crop of "duplicate tuples" is the absolute scariest. Can a
> release really be made without knowing precisely the cause of those
> corruptions?

I'm not happy about it either, but the existence of an unrepaired bug
in 7.1 is hardly grounds for not releasing 7.2. Finding a bug in 7.2
that doesn't exist in 7.1 would be such grounds, sure. But we put out
releases when we think they are better than what's out there; holding
them in a (vain) quest for perfection isn't the way to make progress.

FWIW, we seem to understand the mechanism behind Brian Hirt's case,
at least. Need to poll the other reporters and see if the explanation
fits their cases.