Re: BUG #5087: Submitted bug reports not showing up in a timely manner (or at all)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5087: Submitted bug reports not showing up in a timely manner (or at all)
Date: 2009-09-29 22:35:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I think this system is silly, error prone (it's way too easy to hit the
> wrong key, particularly if traffic is large) and slow. If we want to
> reject spam in a web form, we shouldn't be using a mailing list spam
> moderation system. I think we should be using a "captcha" system like
> recaptcha.

Captchas are annoying and have been pretty much broken by the spammers
anyway, other than the ones that are so hard that humans can't reliably
do them either (see: annoying). We should *not* do this. Especially
so in view of the comment upthread that bug-form traffic is only a
small part of the moderation load.