Re: Insertion to temp table deteriorating over time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Steven Flatt" <steven(dot)flatt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Insertion to temp table deteriorating over time
Date: 2006-12-19 08:08:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Steven Flatt" <steven(dot)flatt(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Issue #1:

> (I'm assuming there's a reasonable explanation for this.) If I create a
> temp table with a single varchar column (or text column), do 100 inserts to
> that table, copy to a permanent table, truncate the temp table and repeat,
> the time required for the 100 inserts grows almost linearly.

I still can't reproduce this. Using 7.4 branch tip, I did

create temp table foo(f1 varchar);
create table nottemp(f1 varchar);
\timing
insert into foo select stringu1 from tenk1 limit 100; insert into nottemp select * from foo; truncate foo;
insert into foo select stringu1 from tenk1 limit 100; insert into nottemp select * from foo; truncate foo;
... repeat several thousand times ...

and couldn't see any consistent growth in the reported times. So either
it's been fixed since 7.4.6 (but I don't see anything related-looking in
the CVS logs), or you haven't provided all the details.

> Now the varchar columns that end up in the perm view come from the tbl
> table, but in tbl, they are defined as varchar(40). Somehow the 40 limit is
> lost when constructing the view.

Yeah, this is a known issue with UNIONs not preserving the length info
--- which is not entirely unreasonable: what will you do with varchar(40)
union varchar(50)? There's a hack in place as of 8.2 to keep the
length if all the union arms have the same length.