Re: libpq and Binary Data Formats

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Wilhansen Li <willi(dot)t1(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq and Binary Data Formats
Date: 2007-06-05 15:30:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> Wilhansen Li wrote:
>> Basically, better support for binary formats which includes, but not
>> limited
>> to:
>> 1) functions for converting to and from various datatypes
>> 2) reducing the need to convert to and from network byte order
>> 3) better documentation

> Well, it sounds to me like this is two separate items: (1+2), (3).

I could see adding more support in libpq for converting native int and
float types to and from the existing on-the-wire binary formats, rather
than making applications do it for themselves as is the case now. But I
think you've got 0 chance of persuading anyone that we should try to
support platform-dependent on-the-wire formats --- the potential
performance advantages are minimal and the added complexity large.
IOW, 1, 3 yes, 2 no.