Re: pg_restore failing with "ERROR: out of memory"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Aaron Brown <abrown(at)bzzagent(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore failing with "ERROR: out of memory"
Date: 2008-03-19 19:06:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

Aaron Brown <abrown(at)bzzagent(dot)com> writes:
> Im attempting to do something that should be a trivially simple task. I
> want to do a data only dump from my production data in the public schema and
> restore it on another machine.

Does it really need to be data-only? A regular schema+data dump usually
restores a lot faster.

Your immediate problem is probably that it's running out of memory for
pending foreign-key triggers. Even if it didn't run out of memory, the
ensuing one-tuple-at-a-time checks would take forever. You'd be better
off dropping the FK constraint, loading the data, and re-creating the
constraint.

There's further discussion of bulk-loading tricks in the manual:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/populate.html