Re: pageinspect: Hash index support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pageinspect: Hash index support
Date: 2017-02-03 15:11:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers
BTW, the buildfarm is still crashing on ia64 and sparc64 members.
I believe this is the same problem addressed in 84ad68d64 for
pageinspect's GIN functions, to wit, the payload of a "bytea"
is not maxaligned, so machines that care about alignment won't be
happy when trying to fetch 64-bit values out of a bytea page image.

Clearly, the fix should be to start using the get_page_from_raw()
function that Peter introduced in that patch.  But it's static in
ginfuncs.c, which I thought was a mistake at the time, and it's
proven so now.

contrib/pageinspect actually seems to lack *any* infrastructure
for sharing functions across modules.  It's time to remedy that.
I propose inventing "pageinspect.h" to hold commonly visible
declarations, and moving get_page_from_raw() into rawpage.c,
which seems like a reasonably natural home for it.  (Alternatively,
we could invent a pageinspect.c file to hold utility functions,
but that might be overkill.)