Bug with duplicate column names via JDBC MetaData (ORDINAL_POSITION)

From: "j(dot)random(dot)programmer" <javadesigner(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug with duplicate column names via JDBC MetaData (ORDINAL_POSITION)
Date: 2009-04-21 06:15:58
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

While using JDBC MetaData for my O/R tool, I've come across this
bug recently;

---------------- Background -------------------
Postgres version: 8.3.3
JDBC driver version: 8.3-604 JDBC 3

test=# \d pg_ts_dict;
Table "pg_catalog.pg_ts_dict"
Column | Type | Modifiers
----------------+------+-----------
dictname | name | not null
dictnamespace | oid | not null
dictowner | oid | not null
dicttemplate | oid | not null
dictinitoption | text |
"pg_ts_dict_dictname_index" UNIQUE, btree (dictname, dictnamespace)
"pg_ts_dict_oid_index" UNIQUE, btree (oid)

---------------------JDBC MetaData bug -------------------
When getting JDBC Meta data, the column numbers for the
following 2 columns, via ('ORDINAL_POSITION') of the 2
columns are IDENTICAL:

[1]
colname=dictname, colnum=1, sqltype=12, typename=name, colsize=2147483647, nullable=false, isAutoIncrement=false, remarks=null, hasRemarks=false, isPK=false, fkdata=null]
--and--
[2]
colname=dict_name, colnum=1, sqltype=12, typename=text, colsize=2147483647, nullable=false, isAutoIncrement=false, remarks=null, hasRemarks=false, isPK=false, fkdata=null]

Note, "dict_name" does not show up via the \d pg_ts_dict
output above but this, possibly extraneous column, does
show up in the JDBC MetaData.

Of course, it's possible that JDBC is not supposed to work
with pg_* tables (system space?) but as of now, this is
severely breaking my O/R tool.

--j