Re: New horology failure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New horology failure
Date: 2004-05-25 02:52:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, in the case you have an install prefix of /usr, we wouldn't want
> relative installs because you would have /usr/bin and
> /usr/lib/postgresql and that wouldn't be relocatable.

Why not?

ISTM that the algorithm should go something like this:

1. Take PGBINDIR and strip off the last component (presumably "bin").

2. See if this matches the configured SHAREDIR, PKGLIBDIR, or whatever
*for as many components as are in the stripped BINDIR*. Do not
assume that SHAREDIR must have the same number of components.

3. If match, then what you should do is use the remaining unmatched
part of SHAREDIR etc as what to append to the trimmed exec_path.

For example given the test situation I had:

PGBINDIR = '/home/tgl/testversion/bin'
PGSHAREDIR = '/home/tgl/testversion/share/postgresql'
my_exec_path = '/home/tgl/pgsql-list/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/install//home/tgl/testversion/bin/postmaster'
ret_path = '/home/tgl/testversion/share/postgresql'

what *should* have happened was compare /home/tgl/testversion to
/home/tgl/testversion, decide they agree, and extract share/postgresql
as the part to attach to my_exec_path. Then you'd strip two components
from my_exec_path ("bin" and program name) and attach
"share/postgresql". Voila ... right answer.