Re: GSSAPI doesn't play nice with non-canonical host names

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: GSSAPI doesn't play nice with non-canonical host names
Date: 2008-01-28 02:51:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Whilst trying to reproduce bug #3902 I noticed that the code doesn't
>> work with an abbreviated host name:

> Testing w/ 8.3RC2, everything seems to be working fine here:

Okay, that probably means there's something wacko about my Kerberos
setup. It's quite likely got something to do with the fact that I
set up the KDC on the same machine where I'm doing the PG testing,
which is surely a case that would never be sane in practice.

[ thinks for a bit... ] In this context there's some ambiguity as to
whether 'rh2' should resolve as 127.0.0.1 or the machine's real IP
address, and no doubt something is making the wrong choice someplace.
That's probably how the localdomain lookups got into it.